Happy Ever After


.

I've often considered the drama surrounding the modern British Royal family to be the original reality show, so I'm not surprised that over a billion people tuned in this morning for their latest monumental episode. As a romantic who is a sucker for a happy ending, I loved everything about it, especially the balcony kiss, and the happily ever after ride into the sunset in that amazing convertible vintage blue Aston Martin.

Watching that wedding just made me feel good.

As a writer, though,  I couldn't help but think I was watching something out of a chick lit writer's imagination-- a spunky commoner meets the heir to the throne in college and against all odds finds love and manages to become his Princess Bride. Nobody could have written a more romantic, modern fairytale. But let's face it, if someone had written it they might have gotten tons of negative reviews about how "predictable" and "unrealistic the story was."  That's why I think so many of us are so enamoured with this wedding. Looking at Kate and William reminds us that good things really can happen in real life, and amazing twists and turns aren't solely left to the realm of our imagination. It reminds us that our Real Life is still the most fascinating journey we'll ever become immersed in.

So, cheers to one day when we all believe in love, beauty and happy ever afters.

Post a Comment