21 Days, 21 Dribble Drabble


.

Day 5 - Nia Ever After

Life is like a Fairytale…

         Fairy Godmothers have a saying: “you are only as good as your last triumph.”  It doesn’t matter how much magic you work or how good your intentions are, if you don’t succeed in dramatically changing your charges life for the better, than you might as well have spent your life as a nanny elf or an ogress bodyguard. Being a fairy godmother is a thankless job. Forget what you have heard. It’s not all glitz and glamour. In fact, most of the time, nobody even knows you were involved. Now you might find it odd that I, the most famous godmother is history talking about the downside of the business, but I feel that it’s my obligation to set all would be fairy godmoth..er..god persons straight about the career  that they have chosen. That is one of the reasons that I decided to accept the Head Mistress Position. For thousand of years the Esther Esickle Fairy Godperson School has produced some of the finest Fairy Godmothers in history. Their triumphs have filled the pages of those so-called autobiographies written by those Grimm brothers. As I look out on the sea of bright, eager faces I am suddenly reminded of just how long I have been in the business. I go over the curriculum: Potion Making, Spells 101, History of the Fairy Godmother, Humans and Other Peculiar Creatures, you know the standard fair.  I introduce the staff, all seasoned fairies who at least have one great triumph under their belt, then I open the floor up to questions. The young girls and boys look up at me. They seem to look at each other and I see some of them shifting nervously.  Finally, I see Keri’s Kinbobble’s hand go up, her dark piglet curls swaying with her hand.  
        “Yes, Miss Kinbobble.”
        “Can you tell us about Cinderella?”
         I allow myself a small smile. I’ve had thousands of charges, most who benefited from my help way more than Ella ever did, yet it always comes back to her, my greatest triumph.
        “What about her?”
        I can see the children sit up a little straighter, their eyes even seem to glow a little brighter.
       “Well, you were her fairy godmother. What was she really like?”
       “She was…nice. Any other questions? Now is the time. ”
      Liza Lakebottom’s hand shoots up.
     “Yes, dear.”
       “Was she really as beautiful as they say she was?”
      Peeble Pebody.
       “Did you really make her coach out a pumpkin?”
       Jake Jacobson.
    “Glass slippers? That had to hurt. Right?”
    I turned to the professors behind me who seem just as interested as the children. It never ceases to amaze me how this one story seems to capture the imagination of so many.
    “First of all there were no glass slippers. There was no pumpkin. And never in my whole life have I uttered the sentence “bibity bobity boo.“ In fact, you would probably be horrified to realize just how many of those so-called fairytales that were written by those two very nice, but misguided Grimm brothers, which by the way are not on your official reading list at this academy, are more fiction than fact. “
   They didn’t seem convinced.
   “Okay, since you are all dying for a story. I’ll tell you one.”
    The group started buzzing with excitement.
    “But on one condition. It can’t be the story of Ella. I think that is one story that has been told enough. More than enough if you ask me. Does anybody else have any questions about any of my other charges?”
    I looked back at a sea of blank faces.
    “Anyone?”
     Todd Talveys hand went up.
     “Yes, Mr. Talveys?”
     “What was the deal with Nia of Makbe?
      I smile. Nia of Makbe.  Now that is a name I haven’t heard in a long time.
     “She was your daughter’s charge wasn’t she?” 

      “Yes.”

     “And single-handely responsible for changing the way this academy is ran,” finished

Jake.

      I see the male professor behind me bristle a little at the comment. Then step up.

     “With all do respect Ms. Marialle, I think I am best suited to tell this story.”

      “You maybe right, Slimar, but this is my academy and I think that makes me best suited

to do anything I want. Besides, you couldn‘t possibly tell it objectively.”

        The kids laughed and ooh at that. 

      “There are some people who are born under a lucky star. Nia was one of them. Now, this wasn’t some poor, put upon orphan battling her evil step mamma and ugly sisters. Nia was a girl who lived a charmed life. She was born many, years ago in one of the larger villages in the Larga kingdom. As villages go, hers was very prosperous. Back in those days each village was ruled by a reagent who only answered to the king. Nia’s father was such a man. When she was born she was so beautiful, that the nanny elf sent word out that the Queen Regent had bore an angel. Her dark carmel skin was flawless, her large brown eyes were beautiful, but it was her red-gold hair, a large curly mess that seemed to lay on the top of her head as a crown that really got her noticed. Her parents adored their beautiful daughter and the small family was very happy. As these stories often go, Nia’s mother died when she was very young.  A few years later her father remarried. She was not too fond of her new mother, she was even less thrilled when her new fraternal twin sisters were born a year later. You see, Nia was spoiled rotten. She couldn’t stand the idea that she would lose even more of her father’s attention but like any great heroine, there came a time when she realized that there was more to her than she ever imagined. But that is the end. Let’s go to the beginning. Or is it the middle? Anyway, in the beginning…“
      The kids groaned.
      “There was a time.”
       More groans.
       “Fine,” she said folding her arms. “Once upon a time…”


Post a Comment